A box truck crashed into a building in Boston’s Chinatown on Tuesday afternoon, injuring at least six people and leaving the rental vehicle wedged sideways against a structure. Officials have ruled out foul play, calling it a "tragic accident," but investigations into the cause are ongoing.
The crash occurred around 12:48 pm (local time) at the intersection of Kneeland Street and Harrison Avenue, a busy area known for heavy foot traffic and restaurants.
As per CNN, four people were taken to hospitals, including one initially in critical condition who later became stable. Two others declined medical treatment at the scene. The driver of the truck was among those critically injured and had to be extricated from the cab using specialized tools.
Boston Police commissioner Michael Cox was quoted by CNN saying, "We don’t have any reason to believe that this was an intentional act." Suffolk County district attorney Kevin Hayden added that while the incident appears accidental, authorities will determine whether anyone should be held liable.
The Penske rental truck, which had been leased to a commercial trucking company, overturned after striking multiple objects, including a pole and a fire hydrant. The impact caused structural damage to a building and a nearby ramen restaurant.
Boston Mayor Michelle Wu described the destruction as "quite shocking" and confirmed that city inspectors are assessing the stability of the affected building before reopening it.
The Boston fire department and emergency teams quickly responded, cutting through the cab’s roof to free the trapped driver. "The technical team had to peel back the cab to get the driver out," deputy fire chief Steven Shaffer said as per The Mirror.
Authorities have shut down Kneeland Street between Tyler and Washington streets for accident reconstruction. Investigators are reviewing security footage to determine if speed or a medical emergency played a role. Tufts Medical Center also activated a mass casualty response due to the number of victims.
Penske Transportation Solutions issued a statement confirming its cooperation with authorities. "Our thoughts are with those who have been injured in this unfortunate incident," spokesperson Alen Beljin said.
The crash occurred around 12:48 pm (local time) at the intersection of Kneeland Street and Harrison Avenue, a busy area known for heavy foot traffic and restaurants.
As per CNN, four people were taken to hospitals, including one initially in critical condition who later became stable. Two others declined medical treatment at the scene. The driver of the truck was among those critically injured and had to be extricated from the cab using specialized tools.
Boston Police commissioner Michael Cox was quoted by CNN saying, "We don’t have any reason to believe that this was an intentional act." Suffolk County district attorney Kevin Hayden added that while the incident appears accidental, authorities will determine whether anyone should be held liable.
The Penske rental truck, which had been leased to a commercial trucking company, overturned after striking multiple objects, including a pole and a fire hydrant. The impact caused structural damage to a building and a nearby ramen restaurant.
Boston Mayor Michelle Wu described the destruction as "quite shocking" and confirmed that city inspectors are assessing the stability of the affected building before reopening it.
Companies responded to Kneeland & HarrisonAve for a truck that struck multiple poles and was wedged between a pole and the building . Firefighters used extrication tools to removed the trapped driver from the cab of truck . pic.twitter.com/VgqMPBkFrI
— Boston Fire Dept. (@BostonFire) April 1, 2025
The Boston fire department and emergency teams quickly responded, cutting through the cab’s roof to free the trapped driver. "The technical team had to peel back the cab to get the driver out," deputy fire chief Steven Shaffer said as per The Mirror.
Authorities have shut down Kneeland Street between Tyler and Washington streets for accident reconstruction. Investigators are reviewing security footage to determine if speed or a medical emergency played a role. Tufts Medical Center also activated a mass casualty response due to the number of victims.
Penske Transportation Solutions issued a statement confirming its cooperation with authorities. "Our thoughts are with those who have been injured in this unfortunate incident," spokesperson Alen Beljin said.
You may also like
The Last of Us creator teases show end just days before season 2 airs
Lakshyaraj Singh Mewar's coronation takes place at Udaipur City Palace
BJP urges Kerala MPs to support Waqf Bill; CPI(M), IUML oppose it
Jasprit Bumrah's IPL Return Delayed, Akashdeep Likely to Be Fit by April 10
INSV Tarini crew interacts with Navy Chief after completing fourth leg of Navika Sagar Parikrama II