KATHMANDU: Supporters of Nepal's former king Gyanendra Shah have raised Nepal Rs 4.8 lakh (INR 3 lakh) so far through a crowdfunding campaign launched by a recently sacked govt-appointed tourism promoter, who was removed for publicly supporting the ex-monarch and criticising the govt as corrupt. The funds are being collected to help Shah pay a Nepal Rs 8 lakh (Rs 5 lakh)-penalty imposed by Kathmandu Metropolitan City for damage to public property during last week's pro-monarchy protest in central Kathmandu.
This came even as govt sanctioned Nepal Rs 10 lakh (Rs 6.3 lakh) each for families of the two people killed in the violence. Meanwhile, Shah on Thursday denied any role in the unrest, saying the incident was triggered "because of lapses and failures within govt", rejecting the charge by PM K P Sharma Oli that the ex-king had incited the violence.
A statement issued by Shah's secretariat said, "The govt's shortcomings and weaknesses are responsible for this tragic incident." Shah's communication secretary added that neither the palace nor the former monarch's supporters would take responsibility for the violence, vandalism or looting.
"By holding him responsible for the deaths and arson, Oli govt is attempting to hide its own failures." Rameshraj Bastola , who was dismissed from his role as tourism promoter in Lisbon, Portugal, on March 10 after he publicly supported Shah, contributed Nepal Rs 50,000 (Rs 31,000) and urged others to join the effort. Bastola said he did not wish to serve under a "corrupt govt".
He wrote, "If you have any objections to my support for the king and religion, you may keep the post for yourself."
RPP member Swati Thapa said, "Yes, there's a spontaneous wave of support. People are contributing small and large amounts to make a statement - that this isn't just about a fine or money. It's about solidarity." On Thursday, Nepal Police said they used 58 rounds of live ammunition and 746 tear gas shells, with 20 people sustaining bullet wounds, in the violence. Nepal's ministry of home affairs said it had instructed the ministry of finance to disburse compensation to families of Sabin Maharjan, who was shot during the protest, and photojournalist Suresh Rajak, who died while covering the event.
This came even as govt sanctioned Nepal Rs 10 lakh (Rs 6.3 lakh) each for families of the two people killed in the violence. Meanwhile, Shah on Thursday denied any role in the unrest, saying the incident was triggered "because of lapses and failures within govt", rejecting the charge by PM K P Sharma Oli that the ex-king had incited the violence.
A statement issued by Shah's secretariat said, "The govt's shortcomings and weaknesses are responsible for this tragic incident." Shah's communication secretary added that neither the palace nor the former monarch's supporters would take responsibility for the violence, vandalism or looting.
"By holding him responsible for the deaths and arson, Oli govt is attempting to hide its own failures." Rameshraj Bastola , who was dismissed from his role as tourism promoter in Lisbon, Portugal, on March 10 after he publicly supported Shah, contributed Nepal Rs 50,000 (Rs 31,000) and urged others to join the effort. Bastola said he did not wish to serve under a "corrupt govt".
He wrote, "If you have any objections to my support for the king and religion, you may keep the post for yourself."
RPP member Swati Thapa said, "Yes, there's a spontaneous wave of support. People are contributing small and large amounts to make a statement - that this isn't just about a fine or money. It's about solidarity." On Thursday, Nepal Police said they used 58 rounds of live ammunition and 746 tear gas shells, with 20 people sustaining bullet wounds, in the violence. Nepal's ministry of home affairs said it had instructed the ministry of finance to disburse compensation to families of Sabin Maharjan, who was shot during the protest, and photojournalist Suresh Rajak, who died while covering the event.
You may also like
IPL 2025: Openers and bowlers give LSG first home win after defeating MI by 12 runs (ld)
Assault on clergies in Jabalpur: FIR lodged after uproar in LS; police pursue accused
Barse Sanna among four dreaded Maoists surrender in Chhattisgarh
Pregnant woman dies after being allegedly denied treatment by Deenanath Mangeshkar hospital in Pune; inquiry ordered
Ladies Day Grand National 2025 RECAP: Every race result from day two at Aintree