British police on Friday charged comedian and actor Russell Brand with rape and multiple sexual offenses following an 18-month investigation triggered by allegations from four women.
The Metropolitan Police said the 50-year-old faces five charges: one count of rape, one of oral rape, one of indecent assault, and two counts of sexual assault . The alleged offenses occurred between 1999 and 2005, in central London and Bournemouth.
Brand is expected to appear at a magistrates’ court in London on May 2.
The charges stem from claims aired in September 2023 by Channel 4 and the Sunday Times, where four women alleged they were sexually assaulted or raped by Brand. The women have not been publicly identified. Police said the investigation remains ongoing and urged others with information to come forward.
In a statement, Jaswant Narwal of the Crown Prosecution Service said, “We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault,” following a review of evidence collected after the 2023 documentary.
Brand, who has denied all accusations, previously stated that his relationships have been “always consensual.” He has not publicly responded to the latest charges.
The comedian rose to fame in the 2000s with a reputation for provocative humor, hosting roles on British radio and TV, and appearances in films such as Get Him To The Greek. He was married to pop star Katy Perry from 2010 to 2012.
Since retreating from mainstream media, Brand has built a sizable online following, often mixing wellness content with conspiracy theories. He recently stated he had relocated to the United States.
In January, the BBC issued an apology to staff who felt unable to report Brand’s conduct during his tenure at the broadcaster. He hosted two weekly radio shows between 2006 and 2008 and appeared on other BBC programs.
The BBC acknowledged “presenters have been able to abuse their positions” in the past.
The Crown Prosecution Service reminded the public that “criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial.”
The Metropolitan Police said the 50-year-old faces five charges: one count of rape, one of oral rape, one of indecent assault, and two counts of sexual assault . The alleged offenses occurred between 1999 and 2005, in central London and Bournemouth.
Brand is expected to appear at a magistrates’ court in London on May 2.
The charges stem from claims aired in September 2023 by Channel 4 and the Sunday Times, where four women alleged they were sexually assaulted or raped by Brand. The women have not been publicly identified. Police said the investigation remains ongoing and urged others with information to come forward.
In a statement, Jaswant Narwal of the Crown Prosecution Service said, “We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault,” following a review of evidence collected after the 2023 documentary.
Brand, who has denied all accusations, previously stated that his relationships have been “always consensual.” He has not publicly responded to the latest charges.
The comedian rose to fame in the 2000s with a reputation for provocative humor, hosting roles on British radio and TV, and appearances in films such as Get Him To The Greek. He was married to pop star Katy Perry from 2010 to 2012.
Since retreating from mainstream media, Brand has built a sizable online following, often mixing wellness content with conspiracy theories. He recently stated he had relocated to the United States.
In January, the BBC issued an apology to staff who felt unable to report Brand’s conduct during his tenure at the broadcaster. He hosted two weekly radio shows between 2006 and 2008 and appeared on other BBC programs.
The BBC acknowledged “presenters have been able to abuse their positions” in the past.
The Crown Prosecution Service reminded the public that “criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial.”
You may also like
Prince William sends royal fans into frenzy with latest announcement
Delhi Ayushman Yojana will soon provide treatment, which ration card holders will get the benefit first?
Omar Abdullah has surrendered before Delhi, claims Mehbooba Mufti
CPI(M) Party Congress passes resolution condemning Israel's "genocidal attacks" on Gaza
Symbol of transparency, justice: Muslim Rashtriya Manch hails passage of Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament