Everton are considering keeping Goodison Park as a football stadium by moving their women’s team into the famous ground. The club’s new American owners, The Friedkin Group, has commissioned a feasibility study to see if it is a possibility.
The men’s senior team is set to leave the Grand Old Lady at the end of this season to move to Bramley Moore Dock and their new 52,888-capacity stadium. had previously planned a legacy project for Goodison Park which includes redevelopment into a mixed-use scheme, including housing, offices, and community facilities. That could still be part of any plan to keep Goodison Park as a football stadium.
The club moved into the ground in 1892. It is understood numerous options remain open. Everton’s executive chairman Marc Watts addressed staff on Tuesday and said the owners are committed to getting the best home for the women’s side.
Brian Sorensen’s team currently plays at nearby Walton Hall Park. However, it looks like that will be too small for WSL requirements in the future so a new home will be required unless that site can be developed.
READ MORE:
READ MORE:
Everton women are currently 8th in the WSL after 18 games and hoping to grow further over the coming years. They could still play some bigger games at the new stadium but the club want a permanent home for the women’s team to ensure their growth.
Meanwhile, admits he’s desperate to get rid of his horror Anfield record. The Everton boss has never won as a manager at the home of .
It’s 21 games with just seven draws as manager of the Toffees, , and . Asked about the record, Moyes said: "Yeah. I don't want it, I want to win and I want to make sure I get rid of it if I can.
"Am I sick of it? I would be lying if I said I look forward to going to it all the time because it has been such a hard place to get results. It's nothing to do with the surrounds, nothing to do with the pitch, nothing to do with anything else, it is to do with them always producing good teams.
"I think every team in the , when they go to Anfield, has a game on their hands. We might be further away from Liverpool than we have ever been at the moment.
“By the time I had left here maybe 10 years ago we were much closer to Liverpool, we were competitive, competing around the same areas of the league at the time. I think at the moment it is the biggest gulf between the two clubs.
"It would be huge for us as a club to get that because it is not something the club have done particularly often."
and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our
You may also like
Chelsea £115m cash injection confirmed as Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital make key move
30 Supreme Court Judges submitted their declaration of assets
Newcastle house explosion: Weed dealer admits killing boy, 7 in horror drugs blast
Full list of UK exports hit hardest by Donald Trump tariffs - from cars to pharma
Donald Trump tariffs could 'LOWER price' of some items for UK shoppers